Monday, February 23

For Want of Water



I just wanted to comment on how great being able to drink water from the tap and not getting sick is. I really took that for granted in the states. I even ventured to be picky about the water there. I really hated city water, but now I see how blessed I was. Here we have to drink filtered water. At the beginning of the semester Steve and I bought a case of water and that is how we survive. We drink the water then refill. 

Now in a perfect world I would take a couple bottles a day to refill on campus, which is where the filter is. But We all know the power of procrastination and its tight grip it holds over the universe. I get lazy of course and by the end of the week there are 10 empty bottles and 2 full. (Except for the one that was never opened. It made a great doorstop.) So that leaves one option for me. It has ended up being a weekly chore of taking a backpack to the annex and filling 8-10 bottles of water and seeing if I can make it up the hill up 4 flights of stairs back into our house without falling over. 

Now some would say Why don't you send Steve for water?He's the man. He's strong and tough and that would clearly fall under his category of tasks. Not so, I say. You see though Steve is strong and the man, if I had sent a few water bottles with him through the week and filled some myself then that would be feasible, but I didn't. So I find this as my challenge. Plus it seems only fair and fun to still be able to carry all that weight and not fall over. I only wish a fellow procrastinater lived near me so I could have some competition in my weekly challenge. I really am grateful that I have a challenge. Things are just too easy for some of us. These types of challenges are the only mile markers we have to still make sure we are still moving forward.

Anyways for anyone who read this, just remember that as serious as this sounds, I really just write this nonsense for my own amusement and anyone else who happens to enjoy is welcome to. All others I would have to tell to ignore the ramblings of an Island Bum.

No comments:

Post a Comment