Tuesday, November 30

Christmas Tree Skirt

So this year Steve and I got to decorate our house and have our own tree for the first time since we've been married. Even though we don't get to have a traditional christmas with our families we are super excited to celebrate with friends and this year while decorating I discovered that our tree skirt was missing. I bought this one like 4 years ago and it was nice but definitely cheap so not too big a deal, but still a trees just not the same without a skirt. First I decided to improvise a pretty poinsetta tablecloth. it was nice but definitely wasn't our favorite choice, but you know they charge so much for tree skirts at the store and we really are trying to save money so while we were choosing our awesome christmas sweaters we found this plaid tablecloth that I liked.
 I brought it home and a couple hours later, voila! A brand new homemade tree skirt. I think it turned out so pretty and it was so easy to make.
 Best part about it is that we only paid $5.99 for it as opposed to $20 for a store bought one that isn't as special since I made this one! I never thought about making something like this before. It was so much fun! 
For anyone interested in making one for themselves here are a few tips that may help.
  • Start by laying the cloth on the floor or a table depending on your space.
  • I used a tape measure and found the center point of the clothe and then measured out about 30 inches this is where I put pins to mark how far out to cut. 
  • Make sure that you have 2 pieces of cloth to cut in the circle. 2 make a better and more professional looking project.
  • Then cut the circle and then cut a slit to the middle. I luckily had the plaid to measure by so this was easy.
  • Then cut a circle in the middle about 3 inches wide. Mine was square to match the cloth pattern.
  • Next making sure the two circles are pinned together with the inside facing out you sew around the edges and the slit but leave the middle circle un-sewn so you can turn right side out.
  • Then turn right side out and iron.
  • I sewed around the outside edge again this time taking extra caution to make it straight and everything is done except the middle.
  • For the middle I just put some cloth folded over bottom and top and sewed it around so that it has a hem over it and it looks very nice. And I guess thats pretty much all.

3 comments:

  1. I love it Tamara. What a great find. We had such a great time when you all were here. So glad you made it home safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I should try that. And We had a great time when you guys were here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had the greatest time too! You guys are so fun and hopefully we'll see you again soon! OH also I forgot to say we found our cards so don't worry bout that. Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete